Ross Hastings, a Zimbabwean Scot, holds PhDs in organometallic chemistry (Queen’s University, Kingston) and theology (University of St Andrews,Scotland). His teaching interests include Trinitarian theology, pastoral theology, theology and spirituality of mission, ethics, and the interface between science and theology. In addition to teaching theology and chemistry, he has served as a senior pastor in several churches, most recently pastoring Peace Portal Alliance Church in White Rock, BC for 11 years.
Ross's published works include Missional God, Missional Church: Hope for Re-evangelizing the West (IVP, 2012), Jonathan Edwards and the Life of God: Toward an Evangelical Theology of Participation (Fortress Press, 2015) and Where Do Broken Hearts Go? A Theology and Psychology of Grief (Cascade, 2016). His next publication is Echoes of Coinherence: Trinitarian Theology and Science Together (Eugene, OR.: Cascade, in press), and is expected to be released in September 2017. He currently serves as the Sangwoo Youtong Chee Associate Professor of Theology and Pastoral Theology, at Regent College.
Ross lost his first wife Sharon to cancer in 2008 after 27 years of marriage. In 2011 he married Tammy Carrillo, who also lost her husband to cancer in 2008. Together they have five children. He enjoys sport—especially rugby, cricket, soccer, tennis, squash and flyfishing—as well as a wide variety of music.
You can find Ross on Twitter at @WRossHastings.
Areas of expertise
- Trinitarian Theology
- Pastoral Theology
- Deep and Missional Church
- Theology of Jonathan Edwards
- Theology of Karl Barth
- Science and Christianity
Media & Publications
- Pastoral Ethics: Ministering With Integrity in the Contemporary Context – Audio Publication
- Christian Mission Today – Audio Publication
- The Trinity and the Mission-shaped Church in the 21st Century – Audio Publication
- Ross Hastings: Key Themes in the Book of Hebrews – Summer Video
- Missional God, Missional Church: Hope for Re-Evangelizing the West – Book Publication
- Ephesians 4:1-6: A Call of Christian Unity, Part 1 – Article
- Jonathan Edwards and the Life of God: Toward an Evangelical Theology of Participation – Book Publication
- Encountering Community – Summer Video
- A Theological Reflection on My Experience of Depression – Article
- Where Do Broken Hearts Go? Book Launch – Audio Publication