Dr. David Robinson teaches Marketplace Theology and directs the Master of Arts in Leadership, Theology, and Society (MALTS). His current research focuses on the theological ethics of human work as well as approaches to sustainability (personal, corporate, and environmental). His previous research focused on modern philosophical and theological accounts of the self in society, including church-state relations. David is the author of Christ and Revelatory Community in Bonhoeffer’s Reception of Hegel. He has also published articles in Journal of Church and State, Modern Theology, Theology and Science, and Studies in Christian Ethics.
David previously worked as a Postdoctoral Fellow at Regent College and the UBC Philosophy Department, a position funded by the Canadian Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC). He was also Project Co-Leader for “Regent Interface: Engaging Science in Ministry Education,” which was funded by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). His interest in the relation between theology and the natural sciences continues in his role as a Fellow in Science-Engaged Theology (2022-2023) with the University of St. Andrews in Scotland.
David has previously taught at Vancouver School of Theology, Corpus Christi College, and the University of Edinburgh. He has presented at several conferences including the American Academy of Religion, the Society for the Study of Christian Ethics (U.K.), and the International Bonhoeffer Congress.
Areas of expertise
- Modern Theology
- Marketplace Theology
- Leadership Ethics
- Ecological Ethics
Media & Publications
- How is the Coming Generation to Go On Living? – Article
- The Dignity of Causing: Kenosis, Compatibilism, and the God Beyond Genus – Article
- Princes of the Church: Two Kingdoms Resistance in Schleiermacher and Bonhoeffer – Article
- Living with Dying: The Body of Christ after MAiD –
- Called to Be Friends – Podcast
- God's Providence, Geopolitics, and Prayer – Podcast
- Kenotic Theologies and the Challenge of the Anthropocene: From Deep Incarnation to Interspecies Encounter (with Jennifer Wotochek) – Article Publication
- Christ and Revelatory Community in Bonhoeffer's Reception of Hegel – Book
- A Resilient Public Voice: Rowan Williams in Faith’s Argument – Article
- Confessing Race: Toward a Global Ecclesiology after Bonhoeffer and Du Bois – Article
- A Cleaving Mind: Hegel and Bonhoeffer on the Fall into Knowledge – Article
- Conflict & Concession: Nationality in the Pastorate for Althaus and Bonhoeffer – Article