Dr. David Robinson teaches Marketplace Theology and directs the Master of Arts in Leadership, Theology, and Society. His current research focuses on the theological ethics of human work as well as approaches to sustainability (personal, corporate, and environmental). His previous research focused on modern philosophical and theological accounts of the self in society, including church-state relations. David is the author of Christ and Revelatory Community in Bonhoeffer’s Reception of Hegel (Mohr Siebeck, 2018). He has also published articles in Modern Theology, Scottish Journal of Theology, Studies in Christian Ethics, and Journal of the Society of Christian Ethics.
Prior to this appointment, David was a Postdoctoral Fellow at Regent College and the UBC Philosophy Department, a position funded by the Canadian Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC). He was also Project Co-Leader for “Regent Interface: Engaging Science in Ministry Education,” which was funded by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). His interest in the relation between theology and the natural sciences continues in his role as a Fellow in Science-Engaged Theology (2022-2023) at the University of St. Andrews.
David has previously taught at Vancouver School of Theology, Corpus Christi College, and the University of Edinburgh. He has presented at conferences including the American Academy of Religion, the Society for the Study of Christian Ethics (U.K.), and the International Bonhoeffer Congress.
Beyond his academic positions, David has served in pastoral leadership for several years. He has also been involved in respite work and remote manual labour. He currently lives in Coquitlam with his wife Jolene, who works in communications and development, and their children Naomi and Andrew.
Areas of expertise
Modern Theology, especially Christology and Ecclesiology
Media & Publications
- Living with Dying: The Body of Christ after MAiD –
- Called to Be Friends – Podcast
- God's Providence, Geopolitics, and Prayer – Podcast
- Kenotic Theologies and the Challenge of the Anthropocene: From Deep Incarnation to Interspecies Encounter (with Jennifer Wotochek) – Article Publication
- Christ and Revelatory Community in Bonhoeffer's Reception of Hegel – Book
- A Resilient Public Voice: Rowan Williams in Faith’s Argument – Article
- Confessing Race: Toward a Global Ecclesiology after Bonhoeffer and Du Bois – Article
- A Cleaving Mind: Hegel and Bonhoeffer on the Fall into Knowledge – Article
- Conflict & Concession: Nationality in the Pastorate for Althaus and Bonhoeffer – Article