Bruce Hindmarsh took his D.Phil. degree in theology at Oxford University in 1993. From 1995 to 1997 he was also a research fellow at Christ Church, Oxford. He has since published and spoken widely to international audiences on the history of early British evangelicalism.
His articles have appeared in respected academic journals such as Church History, the Journal of Ecclesiastical History, and the Huntington Library Quarterly. He is the author of three major books: John Newton and the English Evangelical Tradition (Oxford University Press, 1996), The Evangelical Conversion Narrative (Oxford University Press, 2005), and The Spirit of Early Evangelicalism (Oxford University Press, 2018). Bruce has been the recipient of numerous teaching awards, research grants and fellowships. He has also been a Mayers Research Fellow at the Huntington Library and a holder of the Henry Luce III Theological Fellowship.
A fellow of the Royal Historical Society, he is a past-president of the American Society of Church History.
He teaches the history of Christian spirituality, and speaks often to lay audiences as well as preaching in his own church and elsewhere. A former staff worker for Youth for Christ and an active lay member of an Anglican Church, he is married to Carolyn, and they have three children: Bethany, Matthew and Sam.
Areas of expertise
- Early British Evangelicalism
- Evangelical Spirituality
- Autobiography & Conversion Narrative
Media & Publications
- The Evangelical Conversion Narrative – Book Publication
- John Newton and the English Evangelical Tradition – Book Publication
- The End of Faith as its Beginning: The Early Evangelical Contribution to Ascetical Theology – Audio Publication
- The Rise of Evangelical Conversion Narrative – Audio Publication
- Chapel Audio: Psalm 107 – Audio
- Abstinence, Intensity, and Love – Blog
- Holy and Happy? – Article
- The Spirit of Early Evangelicalism – Book
- Christmas as the Season of "Fear Not" – Audio
- A Deeply Human Longing – Article
- 5 Traditions & Practices of Prayer – Video
- C.S. Lewis & the Inklings – Video
- The Rise, Decline, and Recovery of the Human Soul – Video