More Links

Moving to and Living in Vancouver


Regent College does not have residences of its own. But we do have a Housing Database, which lists off-campus rental properties exclusively offered to Regent College students. This page also includes helpful information for your housing search.

Note:  All listings on Regent's Housing Database are subject to approval by Regent College. Regent College reserves the right to refuse or remove any posting from the housing database or housing forum it determines is unfit or deems inappropriate.

Go to database

types of accommodation

Are you moving to Vancouver from elsewhere in Canada, from the US, or from overseas? Read about the types of accommodation available. Please note that all rental prices listed are approximations specific to the city of Vancouver. Students comfortable with a longer commute to Regent may be interested in seeking housing in some of the Vancouver suburbs, such as Burnaby, Richmond, or New Westminster.

Not sure what neighbourhood you want to live in? View this Map of Vancouver Neighbourhoods .


Typically, these are individual, self-contained housing units within a house or building. Each apartment has its own facilities and private entrance. Apartments can have up to three or four bedrooms, but most often have one or two bedrooms. They are usually unfurnished, but it’s possible to find some that are partially or fully furnished. They generally contain kitchen facilities (stove and refrigerator, etc.), and laundry can be shared and coin-operated. Do not assume all buildings have laundry. Be sure to ask!

 Accommodation  Suitability  Price per month
 1-BR  1-2 adults   $2,488-$2,855+
 2-BR  2 adults and a child   $3,444-$4,105+

Studio or bachelor suites

A studio or bachelor suite is a private apartment with the bed in the living area. Sometimes they have a combined kitchen/eating area in one large room with the living/sleeping area. Most are unfurnished but generally contain kitchen facilities (stove and refrigerator, etc.).

 Accommodation  Suitability  Price per month
 studio/bachelor  1 adult  $1,200-$2,100+

Basement suites

In Vancouver, it’s common to find private or semi-private housing units in the basements of houses (underground or partially below ground). The most common is a self-contained suite with private entrance, bedroom, living room, kitchen, and bathroom. Laundry facilities, if any, are often shared with upstairs occupants. Some basement suites can be very nice, but others can be of lower quality, and thus it is important to view all suites in person before signing a contract.

 Accommodation  Suitability  Price per month
 1-BR  1-2 adults  $1,500-$2,500+
 2-BR  2 adults and a child  $2,300-$3,500+

Room and board

This usually includes a furnished bedroom with meals cooked for the student in an arrangement suitable for the student and landlord. Some people like to include their boarders as part of the family, eating and spending time together, while others live much more independently. Make sure you meet with the family first to decide whether you are compatible and schedules are similar. Usually the Residential Tenancy Act does not cover room and board situations because they are licensee situations. You may want to create a landlord-tenant contract. Be aware that unless you make specific stipulations in the agreement, no notice has to be given for termination of tenancy, and the landlord can enforce curfew rules. Anything you sign can be legally binding.

 Suitability  Price per month
 1 adult  $975-$1,700+

Room with kitchen privileges

This is usually a furnished bedroom with access to kitchen and bathroom facilities, which are shared with the landlord. You will need to confer with the landlord to determine if this includes laundry.

 Suitability  Price per month
 1 adult  $800-$1,500+

Shared accommodation

Shared accommodation, such as Regent Community Houses, can be an apartment, house, or suite rented by two or more people. The total rent is divided by the number of renters. In terms of price, this is often much more reasonable than private accommodations. Be aware that if only one person signs the rental agreement, that person is legally responsible for the entire rent. Make sure there is a clear understanding between both the landlord and all tenants regarding responsibilities, duties and expectations.

 Suitability  Price per month
 1 adult  $700-$1,100+


A house can be furnished or unfurnished. Most houses come with 2 to 4 bedrooms.

 Suitability  Price per month
 up to 5–6 adults and children  Starting at $2,700

Cost estimates 

View our Sample Budget for typical rental rates and related living expenses in Vancouver.

What to look for

Tips for getting started

  • Make a trip to Vancouver about 1–1.5 months prior to your move to find accommodation (especially if you have children or are bringing furniture), or
  • Plan to arrive far enough in advance to find housing and settle in before the start of Orientation and classes. Finding housing may take 2–3 weeks depending on your housing needs.
  • Accommodation is generally rented on a month-to-month basis, and usually becomes available on the 1st or the 15th of every month. The best time to look for housing is in the first week of the month before you plan to move to Vancouver. For example, if you want to move in on September 1, look for a place the first week of August.
  • Bring reference letters (in English) from previous landlords or employers.
  • Be careful about signing contracts or sending deposits unless you have seen a rental in person or personally know the landlord. Housing quality can vary and rental scams are not uncommon.
  • We recommend that you view a place before you rent it. Otherwise, you may have unexpected problems. Also, landlords often will not rent out their housing unless they meet a prospective tenant in person.
  • Some families combat the high cost of housing by renting rooms to other students. Negotiate this with your landlord before signing the rental agreement or lease.

What kinds of questions should I ask a landlord?

  • Does the price of the rent include costs of utilities? If so, which utilities are included (electricity, gas, internet, etc.)? If not, how much per month?  
  • Will there be any rent increases soon?
  • Is a damage or security deposit required? How much? (the deposit required cannot legally exceed half of one month's rent)
  • Do I have to sign a lease? If so, how long is the lease for? What are the penalties, if any, for early termination of lease?
  • Is there parking available? Is there an additional charge for this?
  • Is there laundry available? If so, is there a fee to use it?
  • How much notice must I give if I want to leave?
  • Are there any furnishings or appliances provided?
  • Are there are any regulations about overnight guests, social gatherings, pets, etc?
  • If there are problems with the appliances, plumbing, electrical outlets or heating, who will be responsible for their maintenance?

What should I inspect when I view a rental property?

  • Make sure that doors are in good condition and installed with sturdy locks.
  • Inspect faucets and other plumbing for water leakage. Stains on ceilings, walls, or floors may be a sign of water leakage.
  • Note any cracks in walls, or along windows and doors for drafts/heat loss.
  • Check electrical outlets and appliances for proper installation and to see that they are working properly.
  • Refer to CMHC’s Rental Unit Evaluation Worksheet to help evaluate whether the rental property is in good condition and will meet the needs of you and your family here.

What are my rights as a tenant?


Housing Database

Our online Housing Database includes listings of accommodations posted by landlords who wish to rent specifically to Regent students—often at discounted rates. This is a great resource for both long-term rental opportunities as well as short-term summer rentals. 

The Database requires a Regent Web Login (RWL). The RWL is available to current students only. 

Go to database

Housing Forum and Community Houses with other Regent students

This online forum contains shared housing opportunities or bedroom rentals, typically advertised by current students, staff, and faculty of Regent College. This is an excellent way to find roommates and learn about openings in Community Houses (shared housing with a group of students).

You can also post a housing need on the forum so that current students, staff, and faculty can contact you if a suitable housing opportunity opens up.

And you can subscribe to the Housing Forum and have new housing opportunities delivered straight to your email inbox! Current students also advertise summer sublets here at very affordable rates.

The Housing Forum can be accessed through Moodle, and requires a Regent Web Login (RWL), which is available for current students only. Don’t have an RWL? You can request one from the Moodle landing page.

Go to Housing forum

Student residences

These residence halls are operated by UBC and the other theological colleges on campus. You must contact these residence halls directly for more information. Space is limited, so apply as early as possible.

St. Andrew's Hall

  • Accommodation: Studio apartments, 1- and 2-bedroom apartments, co-ed quads, and townhouses for families. Disabled-accessible apartments are available.
  • Contract: At least 8 months for a September move-in; At least 4 months for a January move-in; Summer housing is May - August. 
  • Application: Apply online early, as there is no deadline. Waiting list: Exists on a year-to-year basis.
  • Distance: 15-minute walk from Regent.

6040 Iona Dr., Vancouver, BC V6T 2E8

Carey Centre

  • Accommodation: Single-occupancy, fully furnished, rooms with en-suite bathrooms.
  • Application: apply online or email [email protected] – application deadlines is early April.
  • Waiting list: Exists on a year-to-year basis (they do accept late applications!).
  • Distance: 15-minute walk from Regent.

5920 Iona Dr., Vancouver, BC, V6T 1J6

other resources

Housing co-ops

Housing co-ops are communities for people of all income levels. Generally, co-ops house families of low and moderate incomes. For more information, visit the Co-operative Housing Federation of BC.

Special needs housing

Visit the following websites to learn about accessible housing for students with disabilities.

Online rental listings

UBC Housing Resources:

Classified pages of local newspapers:

Rental websites:

Rental agencies

Transitional Housing

Transitional housing refers to temporary accommodation while looking for permanent housing. We encourage all incoming students to arrange this early. A list of short term, transitional housing options is available on the Housing Forum on Moodle.

Post a rental opportunity for Regent students

Are you a landlord looking to rent out your space to Regent students? We have a secure online housing database where you can list your space.

post your property

Fill out the form below and one of our Admissions Counsellors will be happy to contact you.

If you have any additional questions please ask them here.

For more information on how we collect, use, and disclose your personal information, please see our Privacy Policy. EU residents please also see our GDPR Compliance Statement