More Links

Moving to and Living in Vancouver

Family life

For many families, being at Regent is a growth experience for everyone, not just the student. We encourage spouses to attend chapel services (child-care is provided during the Fall and Winter Terms) and community groups on Tuesdays. We also invite families to participate in the Regent Fall Retreat and other social activities.

We also provide tuition benefits for spouses. Visit the Tuition Discounts page for full details on the tuition benefits for spouses of full time Regent students.

Regent families group

There is a network of Regent students with spouses and kids who connect to provide fellowship, support, and a variety of practical advice and care. To connect with other families at Regent, please contact the Associate Dean of Students.

Education of children

The education system in BC has a good reputation and offers a variety of public and private school programs. The BC Ministry of Education provides information on curriculum and goals.

Under certain circumstances, children of Regent students can attend public schools free of charge in most Greater Vancouver school boards. Generally, children can study for free if:

  • your study permit must be for at least one year, AND
  • you are studying in a publicly funded institution*, AND
  • you are in a program leading to a degree

*However, since Regent is not a publicly funded institution, it is up to each individual school board to decide whether your child can study for free or whether you need pay fees. Please consult the individual school board in your area of residence.

The public school system in the City of Vancouver is administered by the Vancouver School Board. Visit the Vancouver School Board website to find a school near you and learn how to register your child.

You can find a list of all the school boards in the Metro Vancouver area (including Richmond, Surrey, Burnaby, etc) here.

There are Christian schools and other private schools in the Vancouver area. For further information, check the websites of the Federation of Independent School Associations and the Society of Christian Schools in BC.

Parents in BC are also permitted by law to educate their children at home. The BC Home School Association is a good place to start, as well as the home schooling page of the Vancouver School Board.

School-aged children of international students do not need to have their own study permit. However, parents must show the valid study permit of the Regent student when registering their children in elementary or high school. Parents must also demonstrate that they have secured permanent accommodation in Vancouver (proof of address). All children born outside of Canada must register for public school at the Vancouver School Board District Reception and Placement Centre.

Childcare services

There are excellent childcare facilities on the UBC campus for students, faculty, staff, and alumni with children from four months to twelve years of age. However, there is usually a long waiting list. Information regarding these services may be obtained through the UBC Child Care website, or by contacting them by email or phone at 604.822.5343.

Another resource for childcare is the Westcoast Child Care Resource Centre, which lists childcare sources and preschools for Vancouver. Visit their website, or contact them at [email protected] or 604.709.5661.

Fill out the form below and one of our Admissions Counsellors will be happy to contact you.

If you have any additional questions please ask them here.

For more information on how we collect, use, and disclose your personal information, please see our Privacy Policy. EU residents please also see our GDPR Compliance Statement