More Links

International Students

Step 4: Apply for a Study Permit

To study in Canada for six months or longer, you must apply for a study permit while you are still in your home country. You can apply online or at your nearest Canadian embassy, consulate, or visa office. 

You can only apply for a study permit after you have been admitted to Regent College, since your letter of acceptance from Regent College is required for your study permit application. As soon as you receive this letter, apply for a study permit. 

This process can take several months, even up to one year, and it is often the reason why students are delayed in beginning their studies. So get started early!

Go to Regent College section on study permits

Go to Government of Canada’s info on study permits

Check current processing times by visa offices outside of Canada 

Apply online for a study permit

Do not leave for Canada without your letter of introduction
You must not leave for Canada until you have a letter of introduction from the Canadian embassy, consulate, or visa office where you applied for your study permit. If your application is approved, you will receive a letter of introduction confirming the approval. This letter is not your study permit but an additional document that you must show immigration officials at the point of entry when you arrive in Canada. You should not register for any courses on campus until you have received this document. Check to see if you also need a visa; if you do, you should apply for it at the same time as for your permit. If you need a visa, you will be issued one for no additional fee.

Contact our Assistant Dean of Students for any questions related to applying for your study permit.

Go to Step 5: Apply for a Visa

Learn more

Working in Canada as an international student

You are allowed to work in Canada while you are here on a study permit. But there are limitations.

Get the details here

Bringing your family with you

List your spouse and each child as an “accompanying dependent” on your study permit.

Get the details here

Fill out the form below and one of our Admissions Counsellors will be happy to contact you.

If you have any additional questions please ask them here.

For more information on how we collect, use, and disclose your personal information, please see our Privacy Policy. EU residents please also see our GDPR Compliance Statement