More Links

Finance Your Education

Other Funding Sources

Many Regent students rely on a combination of funding to finance their education. Here are some ideas and resources.

Remember to take a look at the other pages in this section of the website to learn more about need- and merit-based financial aid from Regent College. Canadian and American citizens may also want to consider applying for government student loans.

Part-Time Employment

Many students hold part-time jobs that help them pay for tuition and living expenses. Working part-time during your Regent studies may help reduce—or in some cases even eliminate—your reliance on loans. 

That said, the vast majority of students can't realistically expect to pay for tuition and living expenses based on part-time work alone. As a full-time student, it's best to think of part-time employment as a supplement to your overall financial plan.

Students coming from outside of Canada should be aware that while many foreign students (and their spouses) are able to work during their time in Canada, there are various legal restrictions on the types of employment open to them. Additional information is provided below, and throughout Regent's website.

Learn More:

Employment at Regent

Regent College employs dozens of Teaching Assistants (TAs) and Student Employees (SEs) each year. TAs typically work with faculty members in academic or administrative capacities. SE roles vary greatly, ranging from facilities maintenance, to alumni relations, to catering. You can learn more about on-campus job opportunities on Regent's Employment page.

Employment for International Students and Families

If you have a valid study permit and enroll as a full-time Regent student (taking a minimum of 18 credit hours per academic or calendar year), you are permitted to work either on- or off-campus. You can also work long-distance by phone or internet (e.g., editing or translating text), as long as your employer is located outside of Canada and you are remunerated from outside Canada. 

Spouses of full-time foreign students may obtain a work permit from Canadian Immigration. Once they have a permit, they may accept part- or full-time employment either on- or off- campus.

You can learn more about employment opportunities and requirements for non-Canadian students in the Study and Work Permits section of our website.

Personal Donor Support

Individuals and organizations may make donations to cover some or all of the tuition and fees of a specific Regent student. The donor can pay support directly into a student's account; these funds will be used for tuition and fees unless otherwise specified by the donor in writing.

Donations of this type can be made in the form of a cheque made out to Regent College with an accompanying letter identifying you as the student to receive the support. Please note that donations intended for individuals are not tax deductible for donors. (Donations to the College as an institution are tax-deductible for Canadian taxpayers.)

Students who receive support from an organization (e.g., a church) are required to declare this as income for tax purposes. Support received from individuals does not need to be declared as income, as an individual's donation to another individual is treated as a private gift.

External (non-Regent) Scholarships and Bursaries

Students are encouraged to investigate outside sources of financial support. Many external scholarships are posted on a Financial Aid notice board at Regent. You can also research scholarship sources through your local library. The Graduate Scholarship Book and The Directory of Financial Aid for Women are both good resources. Koerner Library on the UBC campus has a large section on scholarship searches.

Additional Resources

We have compiled a list of some of the available external award possibilities, as well as websites that you may use to search for further awards. Please note that some information may have changed since these documents were compiled, so be sure to check online for up-to-date information on these opportunities.

Fill out the form below and one of our Admissions Counsellors will be happy to contact you.

If you have any additional questions please ask them here.

For more information on how we collect, use, and disclose your personal information, please see our Privacy Policy. EU residents please also see our GDPR Compliance Statement