More Links




These days, increasingly more organizations are interested in the spiritual health of the people they serve. While many graduates go on to provide spiritual care in hospitals, others work as chaplains or spiritual care providers in care homes, on college campuses, in emergency shelters, in interfaith chapels, for church denominations, and more. Offered in partnership with local health authorities, a concentration in Chaplaincy will support and prepare you for a meaningful life as a spiritual care practitioner.


The Chaplaincy concentration integrates Clinical Psychospiritual Education (CPE) training with our Masters in Divinity program, and starts students on the journey of receiving the skills required to provide professional spiritual care for those who need it.

In order to complete this concentration, MDiv students must complete two units of CPE through one of the health authorities listed below.

The CPE curriculum was developed by the Canadian Association for Spiritual Care (CASC/ACSS) and equips future chaplains to provide excellent care in this field of work. Employment requirements for spiritual care providers vary province-by-province, and country-by-country. This concentration gives students a significant head start towards completing those requirements.

This concentration is only available for students in the MDiv program.


The Chaplaincy concentration requires the same Foundational Core courses in Scripture, theology, and history as our regular MDiv degree. It also requires most of the same Additional Requirements listed on the MDiv program page.

To satisfy the requirements of this concentration, students will take two units of CPE training through one of the health authorities listed below. Each unit will transfer into your MDiv degree for six credits, for a total of twelve transfer credits.

When you have completed your CPE unit, submit a letter from your CPE supervisor and a Credit Transfer Application to Academic Advising so we can apply those credits to your program. The Credit Transfer Application is available in REGIS.

Your transfer credits take the place of the following MDiv courses:

  • APPL 546: Pastoral Care
  • APPL 693: Supervised Ministry A
  • APPL 694: Supervised Ministry B
  • 3 elective credits

Chaplaincy students may participate in the life of their MDiv cohort by auditing the classroom portions of Supervised Ministry A and B. Students are encouraged to use the Student 50% Audit Benefit for Supervised Ministry A and B. Standard eligibility for that benefit will apply.

In addition, this concentration requires six special elective credits:

  • 3 credits in ethics, mental health, counseling, multicultural engagement, or the theology of the person; and
  • a 3-credit seminar in Applied Theology.


CPE unit leaders expect applicants to have completed academic work in biblical studies, doctrinal theology, and pastoral ministry prior to acceptance. They advise that MDiv students should complete 18 credit hours before applying for a CPE unit, which includes OT Foundations, NT Foundations, Theology I and/or II, and Soul of Ministry. Questions about CPE academic requirements should be directed to the unit leaders listed below.

To apply for Clinical Psychospiritual Education, please connect with one of the three CPE Contacts listed below. The CPE application process is independent from Regent College, and students are responsible for their own admission into these training units. Your CPE contact can provide you with accurate information on the timing of the units, workload, and application expectations in their health authority.


These CPE unit leaders are here to help you navigate the ins and outs of preparing an application. Get in touch with any questions or to start your application today!


Doug Longstaffe
[email protected] | (604) 875-4643
You can find more information on Vancouver Coastal Health's CPE unit, including application deadlines, on this webpage.


Anne Tuppurainen
[email protected] | 604-806-3439
You can find more information on Providence Health's CPE unit, including application deadlines, here and here.


Don Cowie
[email protected] | 236.332.1607


Tuition for CPE units is usually paid through the Vancouver School of Theology (VST) and is set by CASC/ACSS.


Regent College Financial Aid and Canadian student loans are only available in the Fall and Winter Terms. In order to qualify for either when you are taking CPE, you will need to be enrolled in the equivalent of nine Regent credits in that term. For example:

  • If you are enrolled in an intensive CPE unit in the fall (six transfer credits), you will need to also enroll in three on-campus credits at Regent College for that same term.
  • If you are enrolled in a year-long CPE unit over Fall and Winter Term (three transfer credits each academic term), you will need to also enroll in six on-campus credits at Regent College in each term.

After you pay for CPE through VST, bring your proof of registration and payment to Regent in order to verify your CPE units for Canadian loans or financial aid eligibility.

The Spring and Summer terms are not eligible for financial aid or student loans.


For more information or for help navigating this concentration, please connect with our Academic Advisor by emailing a[email protected].

For more information on chaplaincy and Clinical Psychospiritual Education, visit the Canadian Association for Spiritual Care (CASC/ACSS) website.

Fill out the form below and one of our Admissions Counsellors will be happy to contact you.

If you have any additional questions please ask them here.

For more information on how we collect, use, and disclose your personal information, please see our Privacy Policy. EU residents please also see our GDPR Compliance Statement