US Student Loans
For studies beginning in September, applications should be made by May or June as the process normally takes six to eight weeks.
You must be registered in a minimum of 6 on-campus credit hours per term. Funding is generally only available for Fall and Winter terms, although you may be able to get funding for Summer term under certain circumstances. Contact the Financial Aid Officer for details.
Amount of funding available
As a US citizen, you may apply for unsubsidized Stafford student loans only, as of July 1, 2012. Graduate students are eligible for as much as $20,500 (USD) in unsubsidized loans. Unsubsidized loans accrue interest while you’re in school, although you can choose to pay it.
Graduate students are also eligible to apply for a Graduate Plus loan (subject to a credit check). The loan amount you are eligible to receive for the academic year is determined by the school, based on your cost of attendance and the amount of your Stafford loan.
The only private loan currently available to students at a foreign school is the Smart Loan from Sallie Mae. To apply for a private loan, you must apply directly to the lender and then send a copy of your signed Promissory Note to the Financial Aid Officer.
How to apply
- Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form, available online.
- Be sure to complete all questions fully so that the application process is not delayed.
- In “Section H: Information Release,” the school code for Regent College is G10675.
- Fill out the Master Promissory Note.
- If this is your first loan at Regent College, you will need to do Entrance Counselling.
- Complete the US Student Loan Checklist and return it to the Financial Aid Officer.
- Once the Financial Aid Officer at Regent receives this information, the Officer will process the loan and let you know how much you will receive and when. The money will be put into your student account. Cheques will then be cut for the balance of the loan minus the tuition and fees. Please note that the disbursement date is the date that the funds can be requested by the school. It can take up to a week for the funds to transfer to the school's bank account and then to your student account. You will receive notification when the balance is available to be picked up.
- The application process may take up to eight weeks.