David Robinson is Adjunct Professor of Theology and Ethics at Regent College. He is also a Project Co-Leader for “Regent Interface: Engaging Science in Ministry Education,” which is funded by the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
David has previously taught at Vancouver School of Theology, where he is a Research Associate, and Corpus Christi College (UBC). He has also lectured at the University of Edinburgh and has presented at conferences including the American Academy of Religion, the Society for the Study of Theology (U.K.) and the International Bonhoeffer Congress. Prior to his academic work, David served as a minister to congregations in Ottawa and Edinburgh.
David is the author of Christ and Revelatory Community in Bonhoeffer’s Reception of Hegel (Mohr Siebeck, 2018), which is based on his Ph.D. thesis at the University of Edinburgh. It offers the first sustained treatment of Bonhoeffer’s critical variations on Hegel’s philosophy, particularly his use of the phrase “God existing as community.” The book includes investigation into how faith and reason are socially composed, how a sacramental event might be conveyed conceptually, and what forms of recognition exist between the state and religious bodies. He has also published articles in the journals Modern Theology, Scottish Journal of Theology, Ecclesiology, and Journal of the Society of Christian Ethics, among others.
David lives in Coquitlam with his wife Jolene, who works as Marketing and Communications Manager for Jewish Family Services, and their children Naomi and Andrew.
Areas of expertise
Philosophy, Theology, and the Sciences
Media & Publications
- Conflict & Concession: Nationality in the Pastorate for Althaus and Bonhoeffer – Article
- A Cleaving Mind: Hegel and Bonhoeffer on the Fall into Knowledge – Article
- Confessing Race: Toward a Global Ecclesiology after Bonhoeffer and Du Bois – Article
- A Resilient Public Voice: Rowan Williams in Faith’s Argument – Article
- Forgetting Ourselves in a Function: W.H. Auden on the Good Society’s Friday –
- Christ and Revelatory Community in Bonhoeffer's Reception of Hegel – Book