RCSA Et Cetera Editor and Publisher
Student Employee (SE) Position
Opening date: Wednesday, April 22, 2015
Closing date: Friday, May 22, 2015
The Editor is responsible for producing and cultivating the printed forum of the student body, the Et Cetera. This position is filled during Spring/Summer Term.
- Personable, diplomatic, and significantly involved in Regent community
- Skilled in journalism, writing, and editing
- Organized and able to achieve strict deadlines
- Able to solicit articles and seek out content
- Exhibiting good judgment in editorial decisions
- Possessing a high level of attention to detail
- Familiarity with desktop publishing in general and Adobe InDesign is a plus
- Responsible for producing Et Cetera, a weekly newsletter serving the Regent College community. Et Cetera is published each Tuesday when fall and winter classes are in session, typically 24 weeks a year.
- Establish vision for the year’s Et Cetera, including themes, recurring columns, contributors, layout and more.
- Actively recruit submissions from a broad cross-section of the Regent community, prioritizing student submissions (also prioritizing articles).
- Approve or reject articles in accordance with the Et Cetera submission guidelines.
- Edit submissions to Et Cetera for style and clarity.
- Write editorials or other articles for Et Cetera, generally on a bi-weekly basis.
- Design the layout for each issue. RCSA will provide the use of Adobe InDesign (PC or Mac version) for this purpose.
- Coordinate with the Et Cetera Copy Editor regarding each week’s issue.
- Complete each week’s issue in time for distribution immediately following Chapel (e.g. Tuesdays by 11:45 a.m.). In general, this will mean delivering the final copy to the printers late Monday night or before 8:00 a.m. Tuesday morning.
- Maintain Et Cetera website and post Et Cetera online.
- Obtain ongoing feedback from students and Regent community regarding Et Cetera.
- Liaise with the Accountant to ensure that printing invoices are correct and paid in a timely manner.
- Prepare resources for successor, including contact information for the printers and any helpful computer files.
- At the end of the year, return all information and software provided by the RCSA or previous editors. Submit final report to the RCSA, along with any additional information requested by the RCSA or incoming Editor.
Average 9-10 hours per week, mostly from Thursday evening through Tuesday morning. Designing the layout and learning Adobe InDesign requires substantially more time during late summer and the first few weeks of the school year.
$3000 per annum, on a bi-weekly or term basis (Sept.-April).
Application forms must be submitted to the RCSA office or emailed to email@example.com. If the office is closed, forms may be placed in the envelope by the door. Download the RCSA Job Application .